Friday, January 21, 2011

Mediterranean Orzo


I have to admit that I really do love rice, and I eat stir fries enough to know that rice can be particularly filling and satisfying. However, orzo is a pasta that many people mistake for rice, and I have never EVER been one to turn down pasta, no matter the shape or texture. I've already written about my addiction to pasta, but I can't stress enough that not only is it filling, but it's also one of the most versatile staples around. I know a lot of people who never cook, and honestly, I think pasta could convert the apprehensive. Toss with some olive oil, garlic, pasta and Parmesan, and you have a great meal.

This is definitely one of those "choose your own adventure" dishes, so I'm only including a recipe as a precaution. In this incarnation, I used a vegetable orzo I found out our local co-op, made of beets, spinach, and carrots. Honestly, you could sub out the chickpeas for cannellini, the feta for Parmesan, etc. The possibilities are endless, and if you're a vegetarian, don't toss chicken on top!



Mediterranean Orzo

1 cup orzo
1 cup water
1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chickpeas
3/4 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, whole
2 cups baby spinach, packed
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled

1. Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain.
2. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and stir for a few moments, until fragrant. Add chickpeas and tomatoes to the pan and stir, cooking for 2-3 minutes. Add spinach to pan and remove from heat, stirring until spinach just begins to wilt. Toss pasta into the pan to combine, then taste for salt and pepper. Serve with feta cheese sprinkled on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment