Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Kale Slaw

I've always been a huge fan of coleslaw, but when I moved here in 2004, I found a slaw I enjoy even more at the local Moscow Food Co-Op. If you aren't familiar with it, the Co-Op is like a local version of Whole Foods, but in my opinion, better. It's a smaller store than the mainstream organic/health food stores, but the sense of community that's missing from larger, corporate stores is what makes it my favorite place to shop...

...and eat! In addition to a brand new salad bar showcasing local greens and toppings ranging from baked tofu to flax seeds, they have great sandwiches and deli side dishes.

My favorite dish is the kale slaw, which is never truly the same batch each time. I'm sure this would annoy some, but I like the different flavor combinations that each deli worker produces. I've played around with flavors to make my own variation at home, but you can try anything from pureed cashews as a base for the dressing (I've done this and it's fantastic) or tossing in some crumbled tofu along with the vegetables.


Kale Slaw (Inspired by the Moscow Co-Op's famous slaw)


1 bunch curly leaf kale, torn into pieces and stems discarded
1 cup shredded red cabbage
1/2 cup grated carrots
2 tbsp. chopped cashews
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. tamari or soy sauce
3 tbsp. mayonnaise (I use Veganaise to keep the recipe vegan)
1/2 tsp. minced ginger

Directions
1. Combine kale, red cabbage, cashews, and carrots in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients well and pour over vegetables. Toss to coat. Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to four days.

No comments:

Post a Comment