Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Baked Falafel with Tzatziki

I'm a huge fan of falafel, but I'm not such a huge fan of greasy falafel, so I prefer to bake these little balls (or, if you're me, patties) of goodness. Luck would have it that baking falafel also makes it healthier...two birds, one stone.

Baked Falafel
(Recipe adapted from this site)

1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 onion, minced
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. baking powder
Salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and coat a baking sheet or dish with cooking spray. Mash chickpeas with a mortar and pestle. Add onions and garlic and combine. Add remaining ingredients and combine.

2. Shape mixture into balls (or, if you're like me, flat discs for easier consumption) and place in baking dish. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve on whole wheat pita with chopped tomatoes and tzatziki sauce (recipe follows).


Tzatziki Sauce

1 c. nonfat Greek yogurt
1 1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cucumber, seeded and diced
1 tsp. fresh chopped dill
1/2 tsp. sugar
Salt and pepper, to taste

1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Chill for at least one hour for flavors to marry, and serve.

2 comments:

  1. I love you, EM! - I am officially declaring myself one of your food groupies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, then come over and eat falafel with me! ;)

    ReplyDelete