Friday, January 7, 2011

Linguine with White Clam Sauce

I think I may be becoming a pasta-holic. Are there meetings for such an addiction? Not that I'd attend them since I'm still in denial. I remember not really enjoying this particular dish as a child, but as my tastes matured in adulthood, I realized that perhaps I did actually enjoy it, I just resisted. Why would I resist? Well...see above. I knew it would turn into an addiction that refused to not be fueled.

Sophia Loren once said "everything you see I owe to spaghetti," and I'm inclined to believe her. There's something simple yet decadent, hearty, and absolutely worth it about a big pile of noodles lightly coated in delicious sauce. And, of course, I always think of this image of her cooking in a gorgeous dress with fiery red hair (many people make fun of me for wearing 1950s style dresses in the kitchen, but hey, if Sophia Loren did it):





Linguine with White Clam Sauce
(Okay, I admit I didn't have linguine...only thin spaghetti. Hush, now)

1/2 package whole wheat linguine
2 6.5 oz. cans chopped clams, drained with liquid reserved
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. butter
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 c. white wine
2/3 cup skim milk
3 tbsp. all-p flour
Salt and pepper
Parmesan and chopped parsley, to serve

1. Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Heat olive oil and butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and clams to the skillet and cook until garlic is fragrant. Increase heat to medium high, add lemon juice and white wine to the pan, along with one cup of reserved canned clam liquid. Simmer until liquid is reduced by half and turn heat down to medium low.

2. Cook pasta according to package directions and drain (do NOT rinse). In a bowl or measuring cup, combine flour and milk. Add mixture to skillet and heat through 3-4 minutes, or until sauce mixture thickens. Add more canned clam juice to thin out, if necessary, and taste for salt and pepper. Pour pasta into skillet and toss to combine. Serve with fresh chopped parsley and freshly grated Parmesan.

Mangiare!

No comments:

Post a Comment