Monday, July 5, 2010

Sausage and Beans over Polenta

This is my favorite dish to eat in the entire world. I'm really not kidding. When I'm stressed out or feeling under the weather, I immediately start craving cannellini beans and polenta, so over the years I've run to this staple that I've never written down before. For your sake, I took the time to actually record what's in this comfort food.

I last made sausage and beans over polenta during the hurried last stages of writing, when it was still cold out and the puppy was overly rambunctious. These days he's quite the gentleman, even riding in the car. Oh hell, here's a gratuitous shot of Otis looking cute. Recipe follows.

Sausage and Beans over Polenta

4 Italian sausages, casings removed
1 small yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained with juices reserved
1-14.5 oz. can cannellini beans (may substitute Great Northern Beans)
3-4 tbsp. Italian parsley, chopped
Fresh ground black pepper
1 recipe polenta

1. Cook sausage in deep skillet over medium high heat until cooked through. Set sausage aside and keep warm. Pour all but 1-2 tbsp. drippings from pan and reserve heat to medium.

2. Add onion and garlic to skillet and saute until onions are translucent. Pour in tomatoes and cannellini beans. Add a few tablespoons of the reserved tomato juices; stir to combine.

3. Return sausage to pan and add black pepper and parsley. To serve, ladle beans and sausage over polenta.

Note: I sometimes top with freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano if I'm feeling particularly blue. It will make your soul sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment