Saturday, July 3, 2010

Polenta, Beans, and Scrambled Eggs or, Everything but the Kitchen Sink

I'm in the midst of a love affair with polenta, and this has to be one of my favorite ways to eat it. Tired of Italian sausage over polenta (post coming soon), I decided to clean out my pantry and fridge for this dish. I wouldn't recommend this if you're on a diet....which I am not. Ever. I like food. Sue me.





Polenta, Beans, and Scrambled Eggs

3 cups water
1 cup polenta
1-14.5 oz. can S&W Pinquitos, drained with liquid reserved
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
4 eggs, beaten
1 avocado, diced

1. Bring 3 cups water to a boil; pour polenta slowly into water, stirring constantly. Continue stirring for 20-25 minutes, or until mixture is thickened and is easily pulled from the side of the pan. Let sit.*

2. Pour pinquitos into saucepan over medium heat; add green onions and enough reserved liquid that the mixture isn't soupy but is lightly sauced. Heat through and add cherry tomatoes.

3. Scramble eggs in a separate pan. To assemble dish, scoop a generous amount of polenta onto plate, cover with a layer of bean mixture and half of the eggs. Place avocado pieces on top.

4. Eat, and then jump on a treadmill.

*Note: polenta has a tendency to spatter if stirring isn't rigorously maintained. I sometimes use a splatter screen or soup pot lid to shield myself and the dogs at my feet from molten polenta lava.

No comments:

Post a Comment