Thursday, October 14, 2010

Shrimp n' beans with couscous


This is one of my absolute favorite meals, aside from the fact that I completely forgot the tomatoes. You see, I usually cut up a whole mess o' cherry tomatoes to throw in right before I throw in the baby spinach in this shrimp n' beans dish. Let's just say there was grading involved in that kerfuffle.

No matter. This is still a light but filling meal that I end up craving even after eating it. Cannellini beans are my favorite beans, and their creaminess lends itself to the soft texture of the couscous. I love a citrus salad on the side; it's the perfect complement.


Shrimp n' Beans with Couscous

1 tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 cups baby spinach (I chiffonade it)
1 cup couscous
1 1/4 c. chicken stock
1 tsp. butter

1. Bring chicken stock and butter to a boil in a saucepan. Add couscous, stir, and cover until ready to serve.
2. Melt olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic to pan and saute until fragrant. Add shrimp and cook on each side until pink (don't overcook; I just barely cook them through).
3. Add cannellini beans and lemon juice to skillet and stir one minute. Add baby spinach and combine until spinach just barely starts to wilt. Salt and pepper (more pepper than salt, please!).
4. Scoop a generous serving of couscous onto a plate and cover with shrimp n' bean mixture.

Note: if you use cherry tomatoes, halve about 14-16 of them and toss them in the skillet along with the cannellini beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment