Monday, January 3, 2011

Curried Parsnip and Chickpea Puree

It's eleven degrees outside currently, and school won't be back in session until 11 January, so of course, I'm cooking up a storm (never have I been so on top of updating my blog). It's been great to work exclusively from home, and I have been alternating between writing, reading, and cooking happily for over a week now.

I have also combed through some old cookbooks and cooking magazines that have been collecting dust for months (okay, years), and I was pleasantly surprised to find a puree recipe from an early 1990s Reader's Digest cookbook titled Live Longer Cookbook. My grandfather always gifted my family with a subscription to Reader's Digest, and I'm pretty sure this cookbook ended up in our house after some kind of subscription promotion. Some of the information is outdated, of course, and the suggestion that you microwave all vegetables to "retain" nutrients is obviously not a great pearl of wisdom, but some of the side dish and sauce recipes are pretty decent, and none asks for fat free sour cream (I really think this is an oxymoron).

I served the puree with a simple, herb-baked tilapia and green beans, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that Ian actually enjoyed the dish. Definitely a keeper.


Curried Parsnip and Chickpea Puree
(ever so slightly adapted from the Live Longer Cookbook)

1 tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 teaspoon curry powder
4 baby carrots, thinly sliced
1 lb. parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
14.5 oz can low-sodium tomatoes (with juice)
1/2 c. chickpeas
2 tbsp. plain nonfat Greek yogurt
Salt and pepper, to taste

1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Stir in garlic and curry powder, then add the carrot, parsnips, and tomatoes. Cook, covered, for 20 minutes, or until the parsnips are just tender. Add chickpeas and cook, covered, about 5 more minutes.

2. Combine mixture in a food processor or blender, along with yogurt and s/p. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment