Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Shrimp and Broccoli Fettuccine Alfredo


All my life, I've had obsessions with certain foods: potatoes, cream cheese, blue cheese, and alfredo sauce. Notice how none of the foods I just listed is a fruit or vegetable? Sigh. One day I discovered that, in fact, I could combine two of my loves together when I dumped cream cheese into an impromptu Alfredo sauce, and it's been a match made in heaven ever since. It isn't exactly an authentic taste of Italy, but when I have a craving for something, I don't really care. I mean, after all, once I really did want to drizzle warm chocolate all over a plate of asparagus, so.....

Shrimp and Broccoli Fettuccine Alfredo
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 head broccoli, cut into florets
1 16 oz. package fettuccine
2 tbsp. butter
4 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup skim milk
1 package Neufchatel cheese (1/3 less fat cream cheese)
4 tbsp. Parmesan cheese

Directions
1. Heat butter in a pan over medium heat. Add garlic and saute for one minute, then add shrimp to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until pink. Remove shrimp to a plate and keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, steam broccoli and cook pasta according to package directions.
3. Add skim milk and Neufchatel cheese, stirring until Neufchatel melts and combines with skim milk. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese into the pan and stir to combine. Turn off heat. Add shrimp and broccoli to pan and toss to coat. Combine with pasta in the pan and serve with more grated Parmesan, if desired.







No comments:

Post a Comment